320 kbps, LAME-encoded
On 25 June, 2021, 7K! Records release the latest edition in their compilation series ‘Layers’. Wind Layers focusses on wind instruments and their influence on the contemporary classical multiverse, with musical creations that delicately balance acoustic expression, electronic refractions and ambient recall.
The first song from the compilation, ‘Beyond the Brake’ was written and recorded by Colin Stetson. The American artist, famed for his soundtracks and collaborations with the likes of Tom Waits, Bon Iver and Evan Parker amongst many others, distills his world into 92 seconds of high impact breath work using the bass saxophone. The result is a hypnotic encounter which winds between cinematic jazz mirages.
“Originally recorded as part of my last solo record, 'All This I Do For Glory', ‘Beyond the Brake’ is a turning of attention back towards where and what was left behind. It is that one last look before the page turns, before the next thought emerges and this one falls away. 'All This I do for Glory' was always intended as one side of a coin, and so I thought it fitting to share this piece now, in the time before the flip side comes to be.” Colin Stetson
- 1 Beyond the Brake Colin Stetson 1:32 Buy
- 2 Vacuum Ralph Heidel 4:36 Buy
- 3 Fen Waclaw Zimpel 4:55 Buy
- 4 9091FM Niklas Paschburg 2:31 Buy
- 5 Mesaklamdug Dylan Henner 4:48 Buy
- 6 Siren One Earth Orchestra 4:29 Buy
- 7 De Misofista Giovanni Di Cosimo 3:46 Buy
- 8 Chord Fanfare (And You Can Decorate Your Helmet) Peter Zummo 4:01 Buy
- 9 Those Little Things Ha?kon Kornstad 3:52 Buy
- 10 The Cruel Ceremony of the Cut Antonio Raia 4:41 Buy